I was browsing the aisles of the supermarket this weekend, and one refrigerated case had chicken breast, tortellini, and zucchini in it. The combination of those ingredients seemed meant for a soup, so I developed this recipe last night. It's fairly easy and comes together quickly. The longest part is chopping the vegetables.
Ingredients1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 carrots, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 celery rib, diced
1 onion, chopped fine
1.5 tsp. salt , divided
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. dry white wine
4 c. chicken broth
1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 nine ounce package of refrigerated tortellini
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add carrots, celery, and onion. Add 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle chicken breast with remining salt and pepper. Add to the broth.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and tortellini, then cook for another 10 minutes uncovered. Serve.