I planned on making a lazy dinner tonight - just some pasta and sauce. As I was putting the groceries away, I realized I had a good combination of ingredients that I could use to crate a meal with several fresh vegetables that would take only a little bit longer than my original idea. Enjoy! If you make it, leave a comment letting me know what you thought of it.
Ingredients2 slices pancetta, diced
4 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 medium zucchini, cubed
20 grape tomatoes, halved
1 package dried tortellini
1/3 c. shredded Italian blend cheese
1/4 c. panko bread crumbs
1/4 c. fresh basil
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Reserve 1/3 of the cooking water before draining.
- Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a broiler safe skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté for 5 minutes, until crisp. Remove pancetta from pan and let drain on paper towels.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat broiler.
- Deglaze the pan with the reserved cooking water, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cooked tortellini to the pan. Mix well to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the cheese, bread crumbs, and remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil sprinkle over the tortellini mixture.
- Place pan under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top with pancetta and torn basil.