Sunday, July 25, 2010

Until yesterday, I never knew how to ride a bicycle.  My father just never taught me.  I did try 9 years ago, back in 2001.  I attempted to ride around my apartment complex, and I did start getting it by the end  of the night, but never tried again. When we moved down to Florida, ae gave our bikes away to friends of ours who foster kiids.

For my birthday, Cronk got me a very nice bike, so I was determined to learn.  This weekend we drove down to Fort De Soto Beach, found an empty parking lot, and I attempted again.  Within some time (I say 5 minutes, Cronk says 30), I was off and pedaling down the road.  It was just a triumphant feeling that I was able to accomplish something that I've wanted to do for so long.  I pedaled past some random woman and yelled out "I know you don't care, but this is the first time I've ever ridden a bike!". 

We went out again today to a park so I could practice some more.  I can definitely handle going straight, and making left turns.  I'm still working on the right turns.  My goal is to be able to ride the Pinellas Trail by the end of the year. 

I'm trying something different tonight.  I have a partially used head of cabbage.  I was thinking of trying cabbage rolls, but the way that I previously cut off parts of the head, that won't work.  I'm going to try a de-constructed cabbage roll casserole instead.  I'm hoping for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment